The Norcold RV refrigerator is a dependable companion for globetrotters to preserve their food and drinks while on the road. However, one of the challenges experienced by RV owners is the need to perform a Norcold RV Refrigerator reset to address various operational glitches.
In this article, we will explore the reset process through the three different methods, what to do before this action, and help you identify why your RV fridge is not functioning on electricity. Let’s learn right now!
Table of Contents
Where is it Located the Reset Button On the Camper Refrigerator?
The Norcold refrigerator model reset button is on the control panel. However, the location of a reset button can vary depending on the specific refrigerator model.
Consult the refrigerator’s user manual for precise information regarding the location of the reset button on your particular camper refrigerator.
Norcold RV Refrigerator Reset: Important Facts to Know Before Resetting
Before resetting a Norcold refrigerator, it is essential to ensure your safety and follow the necessary precautions. Here are some general guidelines to consider:
- Switch off the power: Failure to do this may lead to a fire or damage to your fridge. Locate the circuit breaker box and turn off the reed switch.
- Review the manual: The manuals show the different parts of the RV fridge via diagrams. It will help you locate the reset button.
- Check for gas leaks: Some Norcold refrigerators utilize propane gas, Ensure there are no gas leaks before resetting.
- Clear the fridge: Remove perishable items and fragile objects to prevent spoilage.
- Observe safety precautions: Avoid touching electrical components with wet hands or metal objects, and seek professional assistance in case of any issue.
How To Reset Norcold Refrigerator: 3 Simple Methods
Resetting a Norcold fridge helps resolve minor electrical issues. Always attempt this troubleshooting step before performing more extensive repairs.
Let’s consider the three main ways to do that:
1. The Power Button Method
This power button shuts down the refrigerator and initiates a restart to address any errors or issues.
- Locate the power button on the control panel of your Norcold refrigerator.
- Press and hold the power button for a few seconds until the refrigerator powers off.
- Release the button and keep it off for some time.
You can check how to reset a Norcold refrigerator using a power button here.
2. The Magnet Method
This method utilizes a magnet to reset a Norcold refrigerator. Here is a simple procedure for how you can achieve that.
- Turn off the fridge and locate the recall box having a red blinking led light.
- Lift the lid and locate the reed switch on the control panel above the LED light. Press the magnet on the reed switch until you hear a click.
- Check if the fridge is functioning again after the click sound.
- Hold on for 20 minutes before returning the box to its original position.
- Open the Norcold refrigerator door and find the control panel on the fresh food compartment and the freezer. Look for the “on/off” switch on the control panel.
- Press and hold the switch for a few seconds to stop the refrigerator and wait for a few minutes.
- Click the “On/Off” switch again to power cycle the refrigerator.
You can check how to do that here.
3. The Power Board Method
The power board method is one of the easiest methods of resetting RV refrigerators. Fortunately, you don’t need any tools to accomplish that. Let’s check out how to reset the power board.
- Locate the power board at the back of the refrigerator. It is usually a rectangular box with wires connected to it.
- Find the reset button on the power board. Press and hold the reset button for a few seconds. This action will reset the power board and the refrigerator’s controls.
- Release the reset switch or button and wait for 40 seconds to allow the reset to take effect.
- Remember to check if the fridge is not functioning again.
Resetting the Circuit Board On The Norcold Refrigerator: An Easy To Follow Guide
You can also reset a Norcold refrigerator by resetting the circuit board on the Norcold refrigerator. Here are the general steps to reset the circuit board:
- Action 1: Disconnect the Norcold Refrigerator from the power source by removing the power cord and identifying the circuit board at the back of the refrigerator.
- Action 2: Disconnect the following items from the power Board:
- The 12VDC positive and negative leads,
- The AC cable,
- The gas valve solenoid cable,
- The Spark/Sense electrode mounting leads.
- Action 3: Remove the screws securing the plate’s corners using a screwdriver.
- Action 4: Reconnect the previously disconnected cables to the power board in reverse standby order:
- The Spark/sense electrode assembly wire,
- The Gas valve coil wires,
- The AC power cord,
- The 12 Volt DC positive and negative wires from the power board.
- Action 5: Verify the presence of pin 15 on the back of the plate. Pin 15 is an unoccupied plug on the right of the white or purple wire.
- Action 6: Obtain a jumper wire. This is an electrical wire with an exposed 1/8 inch core, and attach one end of the jumper wire to PIN15.
- Action 7: Touch one end of the jumper wire to the bolt on the feed plate, press, and hold it for 10 to 15 seconds until you hear a clicking sound.
- Action 8: Remove the jumper wire. Disconnect the cord connected to the back of the power board and reconnect the cables to the power board in reverse order.
- Action 9: Plug the refrigerator back into the electrical socket and turn it on.
- Action 10: Repeat the procedure and if you see the NO CO error code. Do this until the error code stops displaying.
You can watch how to reset the circuit board here.
RV Fridge Not Functioning on Electricity: The Leading Causes
An RV refrigerator operates distinctly compared to a household fridge. It is available in two types:
- A 2-way fridge: It is also known as a dual-power fridge. It operates on two different power sources: electricity and propane gas. A two-way fridge works on 12/24-volt available from the vehicle or the fridge batteries.
- A 3-way fridge: It is also known as an absorption fridge. A three-way fridge utilizes propane, an electric power source, and battery power. The absorption fridge operates on a gas flow-heat exchange system that eliminates the heat rather than creating a cold environment.
Let us check out some of the reasons why your Norcold refrigerator is not cooling efficiently and how you can fix it:
1. Malfunctioning Control Board
The control board is responsible for managing the refrigerator’s electrical functions. If the control board is faulty or damaged, it may not be able to receive or transmit the necessary signals to operate the fridge.
2. Wiring Problems
Examine the wiring within the refrigerator for any loose connections, damaged wires, or short circuits. Faulty wiring can disrupt the electrical flow and prevent the refrigerator from operating on electricity.
3. Circuit Breaker
A tripped circuit breaker could be one of the reasons your refrigerator compartment is not functioning. Tripping happens when there is an overload on the circuit. If the circuit breaker keeps tripping, look for a power surge in the system.
4. A Refrigerant Leak or Compressor Problem
The cooling process of the fridge relies on a combination of Ammonia, Hydrogen gas, Water, and heat. If any of these substances leaks, it disrupts the cooling process and affects the fridge’s performance.
To check for signs of a leak, open the access door at the back of the floor and sniff for the smell of Ammonia; You might observe a yellow residue on the coils, indicating a potential leak.
5. The Build-up of Ammonia Sediments
When the fridge is unused for a prolonged time, the ammonia liquefies and accumulates as sediment in the cooling unit. This sediment obstructs the system, leading to a non-cooling fridge.
6. An Unbalanced RV-Fridge
RV refrigerators utilize a gas absorption cooling system instead of compressors. The heating element in the fridge warms the gas, causing it to rise and flow through the system.
If the RV is not level, the gas won’t rise into the tube and circulate properly, leading to ineffective cooling.
7. A Frozen Cooling Unit
For those in cold regions where temperatures drop below -30 degrees Fahrenheit, the cooling unit of your RV may freeze if not stored correctly and make it unable to cool the fridge due to blockage caused by frozen elements.
6 Top Remedies for Why the RV Fridge Not Functioning on Electricity
When your RV fridge is not functioning on electricity, several solutions can help resolve the issue. Let’s check them out:
- Replacement of the heating element: Utilize a multimeter to determine if the control board is supplying sufficient power to the heating element. In case of power-related issues, replace the heating element or the control board.
- Fuse replacement: Swap the blown fuse with a new fuse with the same voltage and ampere rating as the previous one. You can check out how to replace the fuse here.
- Sediments elimination: In case of the accumulation of ammonia sediments, consider purchasing a new fridge. Alternatively, disconnect the RV fridge from the power source and invert it. This process allows the sediment to drain out of the cooling unit.
- Even Positioning: Always park your RV on a flat surface to ensure the gas flows evenly.
- Use of a space heater: Consider using a space heater to thaw the cooling unit if the cooling unit freezes.
- Inspect the door seals: Look for wear, cracks, or gaps. If necessary, replace the seals to ensure a tight and efficient seal.
Where is the reset button on a Norcold RV refrigerator?
The reset button of a camper refrigerator is on the lower part at the back of the unit. However, the exact positioning may differ depending on the refrigerator’s specific model and design. Check the user manual to find the exact location of the reset button.
How do I turn on my Norcold RV refrigerator?
To turn on your Norcold RV refrigerator, locate the power switch or button on the control panel between the freezer and fresh food compartments and switch it to the “On” position.
Why is my Norcold RV fridge not working on electricity?
There are many possible reasons for your Norcold RV fridge not working on electricity but the most common causes are: Power supply issues, faulty wiring, control board failure, or heating element problems.
Understanding how to reset your Norcold RV refrigerator is crucial for maintaining its optimal performance. Use one of our methods to troubleshoot any issues.
Remember, regular maintenance and resetting will extend the lifespan of your refrigerator and keep your food fresh throughout your lovely adventures.
Have you encountered any unique challenges while resetting your RV refrigerator? We would love to hear your experiences in the comments below!
I`m a current Law Enforcement Officer working within the Counterterrorism Bureau in New York State. I have been Camping for over 20 years. My styles of camping include tent, car, truck, van, and RV travel trailer. I have a YouTube channel where I teach all types of camping with an entertaining method: https://youtube.com/@TheSmallsRVAdventures