Are you torn between Blue Hawk vs Sharkbite push-fit fittings for your RV? This article will discuss the differences in detail, providing the necessary information to make an informed purchase. Learn more about these brands to pick the best-fitting solution for your connections and plumbing needs!
Table of Contents
An Overview of Push Fit Fittings
A push-fit fitting type is easy to install and provides a watertight seal. It features an O-ring seal of high-quality EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) between the fitting body and the tube or pipe. When inserted, it is compressed by the tubing’s outer diameter (O.D.).
Installation of Blue Hawk and Sharkbite Push Fit Fittings
Pipes connection use push-fit fittings without having to solder, use clamps, unions, or glue. The copper tubing is securely held in place by a gripper made of stainless steel, which bites to prevent blowouts and leaks.
Brass push-on fits are available in various sizes and are designed for connecting to CPVC, PEX, and copper pipes.
The Benefits of Sharkbite and Blue Hawk Fittings
You do not even have to solder or apply a glue solution. Copper pipes require soldering, which can be difficult and dangerous if you are unfamiliar with the soldering process.
These push-fit fittings bypass the need for:
- Traditional soldering
- Gluing methods
As a result, you can install or repair it yourself, as opposed to most standard ones, which require professional assistance. The only thing that you will have to do is to tighten the ring provided on your fittings.
Blue Hawk and Sharkbite Fittings
The Blue Hawk and push-fit fittings are designed to create a leakproof seal making them ideal for where time and efficiency are crucial. We will discuss these push-fit fittings brands in detail, including their features and advantages.
Blue Hawk is a well-known brand that offers push-fit fittings and pipes for various plumbing applications. These are available in a wide range of sizes and shapes. Here are some key details:
- Brass construction: The body is brass, ensuring durability and corrosion resistance.
- EPDM O-ring: It is to create a tight seal, ensuring it is leak-proof.
- Universal design: This makes them suitable for use with various pipes. You should note that they will only work on CPVC pipes, PEX pipes, and copper pipes.
This is a leading brand known for its innovative designs and high-quality products. Like Blue Hawk, simply insert the Sharkbite fitting into the pop to create a watertight seal.Sharkbite offers a tool that removes any burrs at the end of the pipe that could damage the seal.
The most common aspects of Sharkbite push-fit fittings are as follows:
- Stiffener: The stiffener helps keep the O-ring seal secure outside the tube.
- Release collar: It is concealed to prevent an unintentional release. Use tongs if you decide to disconnect, remove or readjust it.
- Grab gripper: The pipe enters the angled stainless steel gripper, with teeth that permit the pipe to push through but prevent pipes from pulling out. This enables the connection to be strong and secure without needing tools.
- DZR brass: They are made of DZR brass, which is lead-free and dezincification-resistant.
- A shark’s marking: You can see an imprint on the outside. Check for the shark on every fitting to ensure you don’t have a FakeBite.
Sharkbite vs Blue Hawk: Determine the Superior Plumbing Option
Both are reputable brands offering reliable and easy-to-install solutions for various projects. They are known for their durability, versatility, and convenience.
When comparing the two, consider taste and project requirements. They offer high-quality push-fit fittings and pipes. They are the better option among many plumbers and DIYers.
Some factors that may influence your choice could include the following:
- Availability in your local area
- Specific configurations needed for your plumbing project
As for the PSI rating and Temp, Blue Hawk has one of the highest ratings at 980. Sharkbite push fit fittings have a PSI rating of 200.
The Blue Hawk is a much better option and more durable. This is because their temperature ratings are 230 degrees, which is 30 degrees higher.
Unique Features of Different Push-In Valves
Push-in valve offers easy installation and quick connection. They also do not need special tools or soldering. However, there may be some differences among various push-in valves. They differ in design, constituents, and features. Here are some potential differences to consider:
- Type of Valve: Push-in valves can come in different types, such as ball, gate, check, or angle valves. Each type may have its unique application and functionality.
- Material Construction: They are made of various materials, such as brass, stainless steel, or plastic. The construction can affect the valve’s durability, corrosion resistance, and pressure rating.
- Size and Compatibility: They come in different proportions to accommodate pipe diameters. It’s essential to ensure the valve is compatible with the specific type and size of pipes used, such as PEX.
- Seal Type: Push-in valves may use seals, such as O-ring, EPDM gaskets, or Teflon tape, to create a watertight seal. The type of seal used can affect the reliability and longevity of the valve.
- Additional Features: Some push-in valves may have additional features, such as built-in shut-off handles, pressure gauges, or drain ports, which can provide added convenience and functionality.
- Brand and Manufacturer: Different manufacturers may have unique designs, quality standards, and warranty policies for their push-in valves, which can impact the overall performance and reliability of the valve.
On the overall evaluations and feedback, some key points are worth considering for each brand.
Is Sharkbite Brand Good or Bad?
The brand has positive reviews due to its durability and reliability. Sharkbite push-fit fittings have a pipe liner for PEX installations for a secure, reliable connection.
They are compatible with various pipe materials making them versatile for home improvement projects. Let’s look at the specific negative evaluations of the fitting.
Some reviewers have noted that they leak in an RV setting. Other complaints from users include:
- They are more expensive fittings compared to others.
- Their durability and reliability in certain situations are questionable.
- If you use them in high temperatures, you must replace or fix them more often.
Is Blue Hawk Brand Good or Bad?
Blue Hawk push fit fittings have positive reviews. Many reviewers praise their ease of installation and durability. This fitting is also cheaper. Below are some common problems highlighted by customers.
Some have pointed out that Blue Hawk push-fit fittings might not be widely available. This means they are cheaper to replace but more difficult to find in some areas.
Additionally, other reviewers have noted that they are difficult to fix. They are also unreliable over the long term. This is due to the inconsistent quality control system or material quality of the fitting.
In this YouTube video, look at push-fit fittings and compare them to traditional fittings.
Although both have unique features, the Blue Hawk push-fit fitting is better due to the following reasons:
- Secure connections
- Ease of installation
- Lower cost
- More accessible
- Higher PSI rating, ideal for robust projects.
Who are SharkBite’s Competitors?
SharkBite’s competitors include different brands of fitting, such as GatorBite, John Guest, and Watts.
Why Do Some Plumbers Advise Against Using SharkBite?
Some plumbers advise against using a SharkBite due to a belief that soldered or threaded connections are more reliable and longer-lasting. This is mostly due to negative personal experiences with the fittings.
Are SharkBite Push Fittings Reliable?
Yes, push fittings are generally considered reliable and widely used due to their ability to create a secure and tight seal without soldering or glue.
What are the Disadvantages of Push-fit Connectors?
The potential disadvantages of push-fit connectors include limited temperature and pressure ratings, the potential for leaks, and higher costs.
What are the Advantages of Push-fit Fittings?
Push-fit fittings offer easy and fast installation and do not require soldering or glue for easy repair and disassembly, reducing the risk of fire hazards.
Blue Hawk and SharkBite are excellent brands for push-fit fittings and accessories. Both offer a wide range of high-quality products that are easy to install, durable, and efficient. When it comes to choosing between the two, it ultimately depends on your personal preferences on fittings, project requirements, and budget.
Some may prefer the affordability and versatility of Blue Hawk fittings, while others may prioritize the innovative technology and reliability of SharkBite. It is important to research and compare the features and specifications of each fitting product before making a decision.
Have you used either of these fittings before? What was your experience like? Let us know in the comments below.
I`m a current Law Enforcement Officer working within the Counterterrorism Bureau in New York State. I have been Camping for over 20 years. My styles of camping include tent, car, truck, van, and RV travel trailer. I have a YouTube channel where I teach all types of camping with an entertaining method: https://youtube.com/@TheSmallsRVAdventures